About the book
This book about financial capital markets is written to cater to a range of target readers—from novice to average to professionals. It digs beyond fundamental concepts and evaluates the mechanics of the market.
Goes beyond the theoretical and into real-world applications, the book discusses financial instruments and institutions, as well as the new development in these fields. Practical and concise, the book delves into the significant details and concepts of the field.
This book combines theory and application and discusses the relevance to connect the two. This book is perfect for both practitioners and students, and even those without prior knowledge to financial institutions. It talks about the processes and operations that go into financial institutions.
With a simple and concise language, the author explains all concepts and financial terms easily from covering the fundamentals of capital markets, instruments, and investments into the real-world practice itself.
About the Author
Siddhartha Ghosh Dastidar is an Associate Professor at Columbia University. He has almost twenty years of experience in financial services and teaches courses on capital markets and investments. He also taught at the Graduate School of Business and the Department of Industrial Engineering &Operations Research. He is currently a risk manager in Brigade Capital, where he leads portfolio construction, risk, and quantitative frameworks.
Table of Contents
- THE FINANCIAL SYSTEM – INTRODUCTION
- MAJOR ASSET CLASSES AND MARKETS
- THE ANATOMY OF THE SELL SIDE
- OVERVIEW OF BUY SIDE FIRMS
- INDICES, BENCHMARKING, RISK MODELS, AND PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
- TOPICAL ISSUES IN CAPITAL MARKETS
- INTRODUCTION TO BONDS – TREASURY PRICING AND INSTITUTIONAL DETAILS
- FACTORS AFFECTING TREASURY BOND PRICES
- FURTHER TOPICS IN INTEREST RATE MARKETS
- OTHER MIXED INCOME MARKETS
- EQUITIES – VALUATION
- PORTFOLIO THEORY, ASSET ALLOCATION, AND FACTOR MODELS
- RETURN – CONCEPTS AND CALCULATIONS
- INTRODUCTION TO FINANCIAL STATEMENTS – CONCEPT OF CAPITAL STRUCTURE
- MACROECONOMICS PRIMER
- BASIC STATISTICS AND DATA ANALYTICS
- INTRODUCTION TO THE BLOOMBERG SOFTWARE / TERMINAL